[Dixielandjazz] FW: trumpeters

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 14:39:28 PST 2015

Hello Jim,
When I was a young and eager jazz fan with very limited funds and hardly
any access to record stores (I was in the army and hardly got to town), my
mother brought me some records from the States, including the Verve album
"B;ockbustin' Dixie" by "the two bearded giants of Dixieland."  By the way,
the label claims that this was "their only recorded appearance together." I
was extremely impressed with the blurb, and played the records on my first
leave.  What a disappointment!  I loved Fountain's playing, and Bob Havens'
even more, but even then I found Hirt's playing very technical but
soulless.
I am not sure what session at "Pier" (cannot recall the pier number), and
got rid of it very fast.  I also heard their recording at the Superbowl,
and the impression was the same:  the Fountain band was lively, and the Hirt
band - boring; the only good part with Hirt was when he joined forces with
Fountain.
When I played the record for my friends, the only one who liked Hirt's
playing was the one who hated Dixieland and liked "modern" jazz.
Cheers