[Dixielandjazz] Visiting Musicians and Trumpeters

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Sat Nov 14 13:54:48 PST 2015

Hi All,

I'm not going to take sides in the ongoing discussions/dissensions in
these threads. Instead I'd like to offer some thoughts in mediation:
musicians, like non-musicians, have their favourite players and it's
personal taste which drives those choices. However, where musicians tend
to differ from non-players is in matters of technical prowess: musicians
are readily able to admire the technical prowess of a virtuoso player on
its own merits as they understand the challenges presented by the
instruments and the ingenuity of the virtuoso in conquering the
instrument's limitations and in making that achievement sound simple.
For musicians, admiration of technique and admiration of artistic
expression are two different things which are not necessarily mutually
exclusive. What musician, especially a pianist, doesn't admire Art
Tatum's musicality and colossal technique?

For non-musician jazz fans without an insight into the actual process of
music-making, it's understandable that artistic taste will prevail over
admiration for displays of technique. However, where we all come
together is in a shared appreciation of *it ain't what you do, but the
way hotcha do it*. One of the best illustrations of this that I ever
witnessed was at the Nairn Jazz Festival in 2001. Ruby Braff was on the
bill, but I knew he was very ill with a terminal condition, so I went
along to the concert not expecting him to contribute a great deal
musically, but I wanted to say goodbye to him as I knew I wouldn't see
him again. He was wheeled in in a wheelchair and had to be lifted into a
chair onstage where he was kept upright by pillows. He was visibly
smaller, thinner and weaker-looking than when I had last seen him. He
had Scott Hamilton, John Bunch and a fine rhythm section in support, but
he was left very breathless by his emphysema. However, when he soloed,
his sound was intact but his technique was considerably restricted.
However, he played shorter phrases in a limited range and made wonderful
musical sense. When Ruby was soloing, Scott's face positively beamed
with pleasure and Ruby stamped his unmistakable personality on the
entire gig in a triumph of the human spirit over adversity. Within the
restrictions imposed by his illness, he played with control and an
invention which could only have been produced by Ruby Braff. Nobody else
ever played like Ruby and, on his last gig, he still told his story and
was still a one-off.

Cheers,
Ken