[Dixielandjazz] trumpeters

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Nov 14 03:07:04 PST 2015

>From time to time someone on DJML has a blast at Al Hirt, saying he was only
technically good.  ONLY technically good?  As if that were not a difficult
achievement in itself!

As a young man I was fascinated at how Al Hirt's talents seemed to make his
horn look insufficient....like he could do anything he wanted to with the
horn with no restrictions of his own...only the restrictions of the actual
instrument.  If he chose to "overuse" the technical in his improvisations,
well, that was his choice.  Maybe you have to be a wind instrument player to
really appreciate what he could do?

Another trumpeter with what seems to be equal technical talents is the
Australian, James Morrison.  I'm always impressed with anyone that can play
equally well on trumpet & trombone.  Mr. Morrison seems, as with Al Hirt, to
be able to do what he likes with his horn.

I'm not a great fan of this fad of "Flash Mob" music concerts, but I found
this video to be good fun.  JM is showing his stuff along with a band of
young kids.  Be sure to stick it out to the end:

James Morrison Flash Mobs Bluestone Wine Lounge at InterContinental
Melbourne The Rialto

 <https://youtu.be/VbYwyF4jznM> https://youtu.be/VbYwyF4jznM
<blocked::https://youtu.be/VbYwyF4jznM>