[Dixielandjazz] Condoning

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat May 23 08:01:00 PDT 2015

"Lack of awareness" is a tricky business, Robert.
Perhaps some musicians indeed lack it, but how about the audience?  An old
friend of mine (we've known each other for some 50 years) has given all his
Condons away because "he cannot stand all that Dixieland anymore."  This
includes the "Coast to Coast Jam Session" and "Bixieland," arguably the
best post-'50 Condonia.  This, I am afraid, disqualifies him as one who
"has never even heard of these men."
He has been listening to jazz since times immemorial,and has a vast
collection of records, many yours truly does not consider even akin to jazz
(not mentioning names this time - I do not wish to ignite another lengthy
OT debate), lots of swing (BG, Basie, Artie Shaw, you name them).  And he
just loves New Orleans (George Lewis, Kid Thomas) and Turk Murphy!
And another point: there were at least two British bands which played the
Condon type of jazz: Alex Welsh's and Freddy Randall's.  MIck Mulligan,
two, refrained from using banjos for quite some time.  To think of it, most
well known British bands have never used tubas, even though there are some
that do.
Cheers