[Dixielandjazz] N.O

Patrick Ladd patrickjladd at hotmail.com
Mon May 11 01:52:44 PDT 2015

Thanks everyone who sent details of music in NO. I have passed it all on. Makes me a little sad that I shall never go there again myself. I remember my first visit more years ago than I like to remember. There was jazz in every bar down Bourbon Street, no rock n roll, and kids were buck and wingin` in the street.
I remember that a friend and I walked into  bar just as the band were having a break, leaving only the piano player. My mate, who had a good voice and played good chord guitar wandered onto the stage and asked if the pianist knew a particular number. Its an old Bessie Smith number, explained Bill. Sing it, said the pianist. Bill began to hum it, the pianist picked it up and Bill began to sing.The rest was like a bad `B` movie. The band wandered back on stage one by one, picking up their instruments and joining  in. The leader came on,picked up his trumpet and the whole band with Bill in full voice played the whole thing out,
The leader went to the mic. and said `We play this stuff all the time and then we get a bloody Limey come in and  show us how to sing the blues. The whole place, including the band gave Bill a standing ovation.
Bill is dead now but I think that moment was the musical highlight of his life. I miss him

Pat