[Dixielandjazz] Queen Latifah interviewed - May 9, New York Post

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sun May 10 23:18:53 PDT 2015

Queen Latifah Had a Cut or Bruise Every Week Shooting ‘Bessie’

by Hardeep Phull

New York Post, May 9, 2015

Barely five minutes into HBO’s biopic of Bessie Smith, Queen Latifah is shown having a lewd encounter in an alleyway, which turns nasty as she is viciously attacked. Her response is to stab the assailant in the groin with a broken bottle.

There are so many fights during “Bessie,” viewers might think they’re watching an action movie instead of a portrayal of one of the greatest American blues singers ever.

But Smith lived the kind of outlaw, rock ’n’ roll life that makes Motley Crue look like Boy Scouts in comparison.

“I had a cut or bruise every week during shooting,” Latifah tells The Post. “Bessie was the sort of person who went to the after-after-party.”

For more than 25 years, the woman born Dana Owens has maintained a high profile thanks to hit albums such as “All Hail the Queen” (1989) and “Black Reign” (1993), appearances in movies such as 2002’s “Chicago” (for which she was nominated for a Best Supporting Actress Oscar), and TV’s “The Queen Latifah Show.” She was first asked to play Smith when she was just 22, but it took two decades for it to happen.

“It was either now or never, otherwise I would have to pass on it,” says Latifah. “I’m 45, so I’m already two years older than Bessie lived to be.”

The film debuts on HBO Saturday, and Latifah does an impressive job of singing Smith’s songs (also available on the soundtrack album) and highlighting her struggles.

Born in Chattanooga, Tenn., in the late 1800s (dates vary), Smith was raised in a dirt-poor household, lost both parents by the age of 9 and busked to earn money.

Eventually she joined a dance troupe before being taken under the wing of blues singer Ma Rainey (played by Mo’Nique) and becoming a star. She also bridged the gap between blues and jazz, scoring hits with versions of “Down Hearted Blues” and “Baby Won’t You Please Come Home” in the 1920s.

Although married to her bodyguard, Smith was bisexual and had affairs with women. Scandalous at the time, Latifah admits it would probably still cause a hubbub today.

“We have warped ideas of what’s masculine and feminine. A lot of people still equate being gay or being feminine with being weak, and that’s a problem,” she says.

Latifah’s own role in empowering women -- particularly in the male-dominated rap world -- paved the way for current acts such as Nicki Minaj and Azealia Banks. But, she says, there’s room for improvement.

“Even now, I don’t think there are anywhere near enough female perspectives in hip-hop,” says Latifah. “I’d love to see more rappers talking about what’s really going on out here, and not just in the club.”

If the shortfall of female voices continues, Latifah might give it another go herself. Her last album -- 2009’s “Persona” -- was poorly received, but she refuses to rule out a return to the mike: “Once a rapper, always a rapper.”

Bob Ringwald Solo, Duo, Trio, Quartet
Fulton Street Jazz Band
916/ 806-9551
www.ringwald.com
Amateur (ham) Radio K6YBV

We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we
created them. -- Albert Einstein, B3/14/1879 - D4/18/1955