[Dixielandjazz] NO

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sat May 9 11:23:17 PDT 2015

For OKOM, it's pretty much a matter of who's on the bandstand at Pres. Hall. Could be good or disappointing. Palm Court is a better bet. Kermit Ruffins has his own club in the Bywater (Upper 9th Ward), I think, but I'm not fond of his playing. Bands led by Nick LaRocca, Jr., the Dukes, Banu Gibson, though those are pretty dependable if you're into good Dixieland and not a purist.  I'd personally look for familiar names of my faves (Duke Heitger, Leroy Jones, Tom Sancton, Tuba Skinny, others) at the current OFFBEAT magazine (free at many sites, or on line at OffBeat Magazine <janramsey at offbeat.com> and go where they're playing. I hasten to add that I'm not at all up to date on who's where. I used to keep more or less current through my brother Don, and I still visit the city occasionally. But I've settled back into being a historian and a resource for those studying the times when I lived, played, and wrote from there.  Maybe other DJMLers will have suggestions about particular clubs or players. Let us know what you hear!

Charlie