[Dixielandjazz] Turk Murphy's Horn

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Wed May 6 10:01:39 PDT 2015

This from Tommy Bartlett in Chicago who evidently has one of Turk’s horns.

The Conn tenor trombone is a 32H.   The one I play mostly is the one I got from Harriet Murphy by way of his lawyer/friend Jerry Vanoli. It's recognizable by an extra brace Turk had put on the receiver (the part you hold)  to keep the  slides steady.  I've seen it In photos of Turk playing with Ev Farey.   So I guess it's the one Turk played on those great Columbia lps from the early 50's!!  How about that!! He supposedly got a new one from Conn every year...but gave away most of those to friends and over the years kept one or two he really liked.  The bell on this one is quite thin from being refinished many times I guess and dents quite easily...but you can smooth it out with your fingers..  I have another one that sounds very different.  Horns are like women.  Out of the case,they can look and feel similar, but when you put your mouth on them.....,VIVA LA DIFERENCIA!.

Bob Ringwald Solo, Duo, Trio, Quartet
Fulton Street Jazz Band
916/ 806-9551
www.ringwald.com
Amateur (ham) Radio K6YBV

We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we
created them. -- Albert Einstein, B3/14/1879 - D4/18/1955