[Dixielandjazz] Turk Murphy

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon May 4 09:40:12 PDT 2015

John wrote an excellent piece on the greatness of Turk Murphy, and I fully
agree with everything he said about the man.  I always understood that he
preferred the ensemble playing over solos.  That didn't mean his solos
weren't good, by any means.

In my original email, I was just concerned with why others would want to
imitate Turk's sound, and don't know why anyone would be baffled by that.  I
was just trying to provoke a conversation...certainly not an argument.  I
quite clearly stated that I am a great Turk fan.  Your comments, John, about
his stutter, and his stuttered style of playing was very interesting.  I'm
sure you must have enough stories to write a book!   :>

I don't believe that those that mentioned other trombonists were trying to
compare them with Turk.  They were merely saying they prefered those others,
as far as their own liking.

Jim