[Dixielandjazz] FW: Looking for "best of Turk" tracks

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon May 4 03:27:13 PDT 2015

I don't think we listen to Turk Murphy for his brilliant solos.  It is his
band as a whole.  I cant think of outstanding recordings, but I do not
remember any particular solos.
On the issued records, the band was always hot and played with conviction.
Live was another matter - I made the pilgrimage to Earthquake McGoon's and
sat through two equally pedestrian sets.  At first I thought that the band
was already over the hill, but then I heard later recordings and they were
great.
AS to soloists Charlie's mentioned, Steve is right.  I do not consider Rank
or Brunis (I love George Brunis; Rank is less prominent on the records I've
heard) on par with Lincoln or McGarity.
Cheers