[Dixielandjazz] New Trombones [WARNING: SPF validation unavailable]

Joe Carbery joe.carbery at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 18:47:04 PDT 2015

Tim,

I would be a "fake" clarinet player. I started on it in 1956 but realised
there was a saxophone player in me trying to escape! So I bought a tenor as
soon as I could afford it (being an impecunious student at that time.) I
played tenor for years (and doubled on soprano) until about three years ago
when the sound of the alto appealed to me overwhelmingly. A Road to
Damascus moment!
Re your remarks about being able to tell when someone playing a saxophone
is really a clarinet player, Benny Goodman reckoned that Artie Shaw sounded
like a sax player playing clarinet!
I'm intrigued that you describe the Conn sopranos as more gentle than
modern ones. I must look out for one!
Incidentally, I spent some years up to 2006 as District Veterinary Officer
of South Gippsland and was part of the Jazz Society. Grand times!

Regards,

Joe.
.