[Dixielandjazz] New Trombones [WARNING: SPF validation unavailable]

Shaw, Tim Tim.Shaw at mh.org.au
Mon Mar 16 18:31:24 PDT 2015

Thanks for your comments, Joe.
I’m a “fake” sax player – main instrument has always been clarinet. I think the embouchure that clarinettists use is a lot different as well as the air control.
I think I can nearly always pick a sax players who play clarinet as second instrument (likewise they can probably spot fakers like me).
I have a “modern” Buescher (Super 400 c 1975; large bore) which plays like a different instrument compared to my 1927 vintage model (the latter’s a lot better constructed I think).
I also have a c. 1920 vintage conn Soprano which is totally different to modern instruments in sound –(more gentile – to borrow  your description – I think.
tim