[Dixielandjazz] more for trombonists....

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sun Mar 15 03:58:42 PDT 2015

After having played 2 gigs on my new Yamaha, I am wondering how a lot of
trombonists insist on playing older horns.  This YSL891Z is supposedly the
improvement of the YSL691 model.  There is such a monstrous difference
between the older horn & this new one, it is unbelievable.

I found myself dying to get off of the break between sets so I could play
more!  And, now I have 3 days off before another 5 nites of gigs, I'm
anxious to get back into it.

I strongly suggest that those that are lucky enough to have places where
they can try out new horns to get out there & do it, even if you're not
looking to buy.  Technology has gotten into all of this, and the response of
this newer horn is amazing.  The lack of back-pressure is astonishing.
Ok...I am having to feel my way around with that a bit, as some notes are
coming out that weren't the notes I was prepared to hear, but that is just a
matter of getting used to the different pressure thing.

I already mentioned the slide problem I had, but that is something that can
be worked out, as in my case with the talent of the Slide Doctor in Georgia.
It is the response of the horn & the great balance that are the plus in this
equation.

I have a trombonist friend in the Philly Pops who was amazed that I was
buying a new horn at age 74.  Since I tend to get a new horn every 8 to 10
yrs, I hope to be able to buy several more horns before checking out the
"heavenly" stock of instruments!   And, each new one seems to get that much
better.  It's exciting!   :>

Jim