[Dixielandjazz] may be interesting to trombonists.....

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Mar 13 09:49:34 PDT 2015

I have just recently received my new Yamaha YSL891Z tenor trombone.  My last
trombone (which is now my "safety horn") is a YSL691, and this is supposedly
the updated version of that horn (which is no longer available).

My last horn arrived with inner slides that were not in-line with the
outers, and I finally discoverd the Slide Doctor in Atlanta Georgia who was
able to sort it out.  After that repair, it was the most amazing slide I
have ever felt.  It is now with him sorting out a few small dings, and I
hope to have it back soon.

This time I just had the new horn shipped direct to the Slide Doctor for a
checkup.  By the way, John is now retired, but Ray was his assistant & has
taken things over.  Just as well I had it sent to him (although I may have
just shipped it back to Brass & Woodwind.com where I bought it, as the slide
needed extensive work to put it right).

My feeling is, you just aren't going to get a quality build from Yamaha
these days, so even if I had sent this one back, I would have had to send
the next one on to Ray.

Anyway, after the repairs, I absolutely love the horn so far.  I have my
first gigs, though, tonite & tomorrow, and a gig is where the true grit
comes out, so we'll see how it goes.

The horn comes with two lead pipes, one labelled LA & the other NY.  I have
found the LA to be brighter & more controllable.  It is about 2 inches
shorter than the NY pipe.  I find that the back pressure is much less than
on my old horn, and the upper range is much easier to reach.  I played with
a tuner & found all the notes to be about right.

Back to the slide & the repairs:  the complete slide had to be unsoldered at
the tops of the slides & at the bottom, & after sorting out the problems,
resoldered.  It's a real shame as Ray wasn't able to sort out the brass &
silver colores exactly like the original, so I can see that the slide has
been worked on.  However, the important thing is that the slide moves oh, so
smoothly now.

I feel that this slide is a bit heavier than my last one, but am not sure.
However, the added weight seems to add to the speed that I can use on the
slide.  The balance of this really light horn is great.

It comes in the most oddly shaped case I have ever seen, but it is really
easy to carry.  Very strong, but light.  Very little storage room
inside...only for a tube of cream, small water bottle & a cloth.  Nice over
the shoulder strap for carrying, but the normal handle is great.  The
cleaning rod is hidden from sight, and I only found it by accident!

Just thought someone might find my experience interesting.

Jim