[Dixielandjazz] Mystery of ZULU'S BALL

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Mar 1 16:04:01 PST 2015

Bob Romans wrote [in part]:
> Very interesting. I have a cassette recording that Herb Newell...ave me years ago.he said he and his son copied the parts off of the original recording which they got off of a cassette.
> he gave me the cassette.
> The YouTube version is not the authentic one in my opinion.
> it has some cuts in it and has a much faster tempo....has a cornet solo by either Oliver or Armstrong..and is much different
> Did King Oliver record two versions?

Dear Bob,
The short answer is "Yes".
In fact, there were three takes, but only one has surfaced.
I had the Biltmore 78 when it came out in the 1940s. Awful reproduction, but we revered it.
The YouTube is the same version.
Completely ensemble, no Oliver/Louis solo.
It looks like we need to hear your cassette.
Urgently.
Cheers,
Bill.