[Dixielandjazz] Al Julian-- Woody Herman friend and supporter dies

Norman Vickers NVickers1 at cox.net
Sat Jun 27 07:15:20 PDT 2015

To:  Musicians & Jazzfans; DJML

From: Norman Vickers

Thanks to David Nims, President of the Port Charlotte ( FL) Jazz Society for
this notice about Al Julian's death.   Although I never met Al in person.
We had a long correspondence and he'd send me copies of the Woody Herman
Society newsletter.  We had an interesting correspondence style.  His wife
was computer literate, so she got my e-mails and brought them up for Al to
read.  Then  he's write and mail  me his responses.  He was beloved by many.

Al Julian

Al Julian, long-time figure in the world of music, passed away Wednesday,
June 10, at Bayfront Health, Port Charlotte, FL following a short illness.
Al was originally from Boston, Massachusetts. After high school, he worked
in a record shop in downtown Boston before enlisting in the Air Force during
the Korean War. He returned to Boston and became involved full time in the
record business, handling marketing and media promotion for major recording
companies. He was the founder of Improvisational Promotions and the
Independent Media Service Company. Al was the Eastern General Manager for
Concord Records for 18 years. He also founded the Woody Herman Society,
publishing the Society's newsletter The Herds for over 20 years in memory of
his dear friend, bandleader Woody Herman. Al and his wife of 54 years, Anna,
moved to Florida in the late fall of 1997. He served on the Board of the
Hope Academy of Music and various committees for the Charlotte County Jazz
Society. Al was also a member of  the Jazz Educator Network International.
His Funeral Mass was celebrated on Friday, June 26, at San Antonio Catholic
Church in Port Charlotte.  Memorial contributions may be made to Hope
Academy of Music, 1589 Navigator Road,  Punta Gorda, FL 33983 or to a
charity of your choice.

--End--