[Dixielandjazz] FW: I seem to have accidentally bought a jazz club...

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Jun 3 09:16:38 PDT 2015

Bob Ringwald wrote:

>Employees have no business sense. They don't realize what it cost you to
operate a business. They see the money come in but they don't see it go out.

Although Bob wrote a fairly black picture of the business scene, if anyone
has ever played a steady club gig over a period of time, you will have seen
the waiters/bar staff come and go on a regular basis. It is usually due to
money disappearing from the til!

The places that are successful are where the boss is always there.
Certainly not an easy life, so I also wish you well, Gary.

I agree with Bob that musicians often find it difficult to understand the
costs of running a club or even a festival.  It's not just the expense of
the band, but all the other costs of running a business...., even having to
pay the "composer's society" (or whatever it is called in your area) for the
songs being played by the band AND recorded music played during the rest of
the day/night.  There's the food/liquor consumed, the help, business
licenses, electricity, trash pickup.....etc., etc.

Jim