[Dixielandjazz] ODJB

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 30 20:51:47 PDT 2015

I liked the comments on the musically likeable  ODJB-ers.Ethnic musical background does seem to have played a major part in the delectably unhomogenised music of 1920s jazz players, not excluding elements from white anglo-saxon Protestant resources -- and not dividing influences according to a black/ white dualism. There is rather more to it than being just white, or some folk being Italian.
Think of the movie THE ITALIAN JOB, a heist (just trying out my US vocabulary) ending with the bus half way over a cliff, precariously ...And then there was that hootworthy notion that Louis Armstrong had stolen from Nick (or Louis had stolen from Nick LaRocca)
And like at the end of the film the gang's enormous vehicle is still swinging ...
And how did Nick Larocca come to be an Italian anyway?
But no Caruso..
Robert R. Calder