[Dixielandjazz] Two members of ODJB -- video. Video of Johnny Hodges performing with Ellington

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Thu Jul 30 00:27:07 PDT 2015

Thanks foe this posting, Norm. I’ve always felt that Sbarbaro and Edwards were hugely underrated as innovators on their instruments. Even without the use of the full set, Sbarbaro’s  early ODJB playing swung, showed a great sense of form, and demonstrated that he was a colorist, like Dodds (my favorite), but perhaps earlier. In the 50s I used to hear him on late night radio with Phil Napoleon’s Dixieland group. He also played kazoo regularly and creditably on those programs.

Eddie Edwards—what was it about his ODJB playing that did NOT define a perfectly conceived, lusty ensemble trombone style? Before Ory, it seems.

I suspect that Nick LaRocca’s racist braggadocio turned many critics and historians away from attending to the groundbreaking contributions of his sidemen.

Charlie