[Dixielandjazz] Erskine Hawkins Day

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jul 26 16:19:24 PDT 2015

Marek Boym wrote:
> Dick Baker asked for identification of soundie songs.
> Here is something by the Erskine Hawkins Orchestra..
> 30's Jazz gives the title as "Swingin' in Harlem," but the video itself reads "unknowqn title."
> So which is it?
> http://www.30sjazz.com/page/10024.html

Dear Marek,
I have "Swingin' in Harlem" from the Eskine Hawlins Orchestra's 8 September 1936 Vocalion session.
It is the same tune, although taken at a much faster tempo in the 1937 10 minute film short titled 'Deviled Hams'.
Sadly, googling IMDb, BFI and the LoC, includes misinformation regarding the tunes in the film.
The independent film was distributed by RKO and copyrighted by its director Milton Schwarzwald on Nov. 22, 1937.
Kind regards,
Bill.