[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: Happy Birthday Jon Faddis

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 07:21:36 PDT 2015

Thank you for the link, Roger.  A very interesting article.
The truth, however, is more complicated.
I read the JT "Blindfold Test," and my impression was a bit different.  I
remember that Feather played a So Yaged record for Teagarden, and the
latter first identified it a Goodman, but then corrected himself and said
"Sol Yaged."  Feather was very impressed and said that he had tried to see
whether anybody could distinguish between the two.
According to his book "My Life in Jazz," he was instrumental in organizing
a recording session for Teagarden (I have not checked it).  In that book he
also referred to his frienship with Henry "Red" Allen, hardly a modernist,
even if he really was "the most avant-garde trupeter in New York" (as per
the avant-garde trumpeter Don Ellis).
Before coming to the States, Feather was involved in several pretty good
swing sessions.  As a pianist, he was mediocre at best, but boasted that he
could outplay Hodes (one of my favourite pianists) "with one hand tied
behind his back."
The article refers to Muggsy Spanier; in that context, the latter's
"Feather Brain Blues" deserves a mention.
And a word about Miles Davis - I mainly remember him as the guy who spoils
so many Charlie Parker recordings.
Cheers