[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: Happy Birthday Jon Faddis

Paul Kurtz Jr phktrumpet at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 14:12:30 PDT 2015

Marek, to start with, Jon is a genuinely decent guy. In the early 2000s, he was involved with the International Trumpet Guild (ITG) and was one of the 2 spearheads for the conference held at Purchase College in 2000. He could be found many times in practice rooms, working with young trumpet players. I had lunch with a student of his who said that in teaching him, Jon sent him right back to the basic Arban method for trumpet.

I’ve heard him play a number of times and his range is already well-known. His knowledge of music, though, equals or surpasses his tremendous trumpet range.

Recently, I went back and listened to a song set called “Burning for Buddy”, a tribute to Buddy Rich. I was re-impressed with how good a job Jon did in putting together a big band and how good a job he did at playing split lead. Great chords, rich harmonies, and in-tune stuff.

Again, though, he’s a good guy and a good ambassador for music.

Paul Kurtz Jacksonville, FL