[Dixielandjazz] Name This Band & Vocalist, Please

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jul 22 14:37:43 PDT 2015

Greg McCurty wrote in reply to Dick Baker's query:
>> ... came across an eight-piece (two reeds) dixieland band playing "When My Sugar Walks Down the Street," with a brunette vocalist.  I'm curious as to who they are.

>  A bit of creative searching got me to this:
>
> 	Dr. Henry “Hot Lips” Levine and his Dixieland Jazz Band
> 	  vocal by Linda Keene
> 	Soundies Distributing Corp., 1942
>
>  There is a YouTube of this under Linda Keene Soundies. It also has the same group
> doing “Frankie and Johnny” and “Ja-Da”.

Dear Dick and Greg,
All three songs are contained on a Canadian Linda Keene CD (Hunter Music HM 205) in my collection.
And all three are mentioned as from Soundies featuring the Henry Levine Band.
Made in January 1942. The personnel given on the CD is: Clarinet- A Evans  Sax- R Adler  Trumpet- H Levine  Trombone- A Philburn  Guitar- T Colicci  Piano- M Janarro  Drums- N Levine  Bass- H Patent  Vocal- Linda Keene
The same band that recorded for Victor in New York on 2 February 1942

Linda Keene Acc By Henry Levine And His Strictly From Dixie Jazz Band.
Linda Keene (vcl) acc by : Henry "Hot Lips" Levine (t,ldr) Al Philburn (tb) Alfie Evans (cl) Rudolph Adler (ts) Mario Janarro (p) Tony Colucci (g) Harry Patent (b) Nat Levine (d)
071758-1    Embraceable you (lk vcl)  	Vic 27829
071759-1    Mound Bayou (lk vcl)        	Vi 27832
071760-1    Somebody loves me (lk vcl)  	Vi 27831
[Also on the Hunter Music CD.]
Kind regards,
Bill