[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz!

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 14:27:30 PDT 2015

Tonight, with some friends for a change, I went again to hear Bria Skonberg,
this time - at the Tel-Aviv Museum.  I am happy to report that the concert
hall atmosphere did nothing to detract from the music!
The programme was almost the same, except for the encore.  The title of the
song I could not remember yesterday was "So Is the Day," and was again
among the highlights of the programme.  Another highlight was "St. Louis
Blues," based on the version from "Satchmo Plays W.C. Handy," Ms. Skonberg's
favourite Armstrong record.  Although I personally prefer the Hot Fives and
Sevens and perhaps the "Symphony Hall", I consider the version of "St.
Louis Blues" on the W.C. Handy album to be the best.
Ms. Skonberg is a master of the various mutes; at the jam session she
demonstrated that she could make effective use of a beer glass (as a mute).
I must mention again that Shay Selman has improved, and proved an excellent
accompanist, going down yo murmur on quiet numbers (like "La Vie en Rose,"
where he did an excellent job with his brushes).
Another very good concert!
Cheers