[Dixielandjazz] The Axemans Jazz

Patrick Ladd patrickjladd at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 9 09:54:14 PDT 2015

Just finished reading this book by Ray Celestin. Not a book about jazz but a serial murder mystery set in New Orleans and based on a true strory.  The time is 1919 and the portrayal of N.O is accurate as far as the geography is concerned.  The background of the city at the time with the parades etc and the emergence of Louis, who is involved in the story,. church music at street corners, the gangs, the graft and corruption.
A good detective story, a bit complex for me these days. I have trouble remembering who is who. Jack Reacher is more my meat, but as a picture of N.O. at the turn of the century I think it would be interesting to most people on the list. Incidentally the author is no relation to `Papa` as far as I can see.
This advice is worth what you paid for it.

Pat