[Dixielandjazz] profitable insider joke

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Wed Jul 1 19:33:59 PDT 2015

I like your distinction between the "obscene saccharinity [nice word] of some non-jazz James:" and "his heat when he's hot." Some young be-boppers I knew in the 50s had a habit of dismissing James because of his schmaltzy performances. One of them, Jerry St. Amant, though, said, "He mastered his horn long ago." Some of James's work with Goodman and later his own band was burnin' good jazz. Too bad that the sentimental stuff is often what's remembered. Dig his muted 75rpm, so boppish, on Limehouse Blues from the early 50s, as I recall.

Charlie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvFqN7uVP3g