[Dixielandjazz] Re. George Probert R.I.P.

jack wiard jack_wiard at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 12 05:06:03 PST 2015

From: jim at kashprod.com
To: jack_wiard at hotmail.com
Subject: RE: [Dixielandjazz] FW:  George Probert R.I.P.
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 13:39:26 +0100

Yes, I was saddened to hear of his passing. He is the reason I took
up the sop. sax and was a major influence on my playing. He had a reputation for
always encouraging new comers to jazz playing. He was a favorite  guest of
many jaz festivals.He will be greatly missed.             Jack Wiard

dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com
> To: jack_wiard at hotmail.com
>

> I was just lamenting the lack of mail on djml lately, and it
is a shame it
> will take this kind of news to get us all talking
again.

> I was naturally a great fan of George Probert as a kid
growing up in
> Southern California & enjoying the FHF+2 both on LP's
& live.

> George passed through Madrid with his wife...must
have been in the 1990's,
> and contacted me. He came to my house for tea
(my wife is Irish!), and then
> joined our band at a restaurant later that
night

> It was great to play with such a fine musician. He even
signed the cover of
> my FHF+2 album where they are all standing in the
ocean. He said that it
> was a real drag, that photo shoot, as the water
was cold!