[Dixielandjazz] Jim Galloway RIP

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Sat Jan 3 13:28:49 PST 2015

Hi all,
I had heard that Jim was ill, but it still comes as a huge shock to hear
of his passing, even if 79 is not a bad innings, especially for a jazz
musician. And Jim was certainly a jazz musician and a fine one at that.

He was born in Ayrshire and studied art at the world-famous Glasgow
School of Art. When I first bumped into him on the Glasgow jazz scene of
the early 1960s, I was a raw cub drummer, while he was established as
one of the finest reed players who had progressed through the best local
Dixieland bands and led his own band consisting of the best trad/
mainstream players in town. At this time he was still semi-pro and
worked as an art teacher by day. His band, Jim Galloway's Jazzmakers,
had an eclectic repertoire  with a bias towards mainstream jazz in
general and the music of Ellington in particular. By this time he was
concentrating on soprano sax and developing his characteristic sound and
style based on Johnny Hodges' soprano playing. Around 1964-65 he
emigrated to Toronto and I lost touch with him, although I heard about
him through the local Glasgow musicans' grapevine.

By the mid 1970s, I was house-drummer at the Black Bull Jazz Club in
Milngavie, near Glasgow, where we featured US and other international
guests on a regular basis, and agent Robert Masters contacted me to see
if the club fancied a double-header of Jim with Buddy Tate. What a silly
question! Buddy had played (and packed) the club before and Jim was a
local lad with a growing international reputation, so how could it fail?
On the night, the club was packed with local musicians and Jim was very
nervous about playing in front of so many old pals and with a local trio
who were all too young to have played with him before he left town.
Buddy sorted that out with loads of encouragement and a couple of stiff
drinks. There's a recording of that gig and it shows Buddy and Jim in
roaring form: it's not a cutting session, just a glorious non-combative
meeting of minds. After that Jim was a regular visitor to the club and
later to festivals, notably Edinburgh, in Scotland and we played
together frequently over the years. When I played with Fat Sam's Band,
we often played festivals in Sacramento, Los Angeles and Victoria BC and
Jim was often there too, so we had plenty chances to catch up socially,
often in the company of Jake Hanna, so the fun was terrific.

Since those days, we've seen each other less often, although we were
occasionally in touch by email, especially when one of us had a good
joke to pass on. When I think about it, I've known Jim for over 50 years
off and on, and can't recall him being anything other than courteous,
warm, friendly, great company and a wonderful musician to accompany. He
was a genuinely likeable person and I shall miss him a lot.  RIP Jim old
pal.

Ken