[Dixielandjazz] Aristocracy

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Wed Feb 25 19:06:21 PST 2015

Hell of story, Steve. I knew that Basie formed the septet in the late 40s when big bands were in decline--had a 78rpm of the group, though I preferred the raw power of Dixieland groups like Muggsy's and Wild Bill, etc., over most swing combos. Was that really Terry on Marek's YouTube track? The trumpeter was messing around with crowd-pleasing effects, so I couldn't much tell his style. And who was the fine bassist?

Charlie