[Dixielandjazz] Converting LP's to CD's

alevy at alevy.com alevy at alevy.com
Tue Feb 24 10:25:03 PST 2015

Musical Purists Note: This is a request for technical advice. Delete now
if you are not interested.
===============================
Hi Mike and others,
Almost everything I do is manual and work.
I haven't been happy with any of the software
that claims to do things un-monitored.

I bought a DAK interface. phono mic and / or tape
outputs plug in. Then your out can go to the computer input.
(not the mic input)

There are levers to adjust the sound level, much
like a mixer. I set them once and never again.

Step 2. I use Sound Forge software for recording.
Dak supplies software but I don't use it for this purpose.
I also have "Nero" which came with the sound card.
I don't use this either... for recording.

Sound forge creates .wav files (they can be converted
or saved differently) but I like ,wav files.

There's an almost automatic command to cut silences
from the beginning and end.

All of the above mentioned software has de-poppers etc.

You can create one big file - if you let a whole side of an Lp
record. With a little practice it is easy to break it up into tracks.
It will take time. You can baby sit the software (recording) and
indicate "new tracK" and Sound Forge creates separate tracks.

My next step, still using Sound Forge, is to review each track
and do some minor editing.
note: try to save all the tracks in one "appropriate" folder.
I use Nero for recording to cd. It's a little clumsy nut what the
hey!
As my mentor and boss said:
"T'ain't what cha do it's the way how you do it!"
Cheers,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com