[Dixielandjazz] Doris Day - jazz singer or non-jazz singer

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Tue Feb 17 09:57:19 PST 2015

Hi All,
As regular listmates will know I'm not keen on pigeon-holing styles or
performers - jazz has always been *all the one music* to me. Over the
years I've worked with lots of singers and very few of them were natural
improvisers in the way that jazz instrumentalists have to be if they're
going to interpret, deconstruct and re-assemble tunes in a new fashion.
That requires knowledge of harmony, either learned or intuitive, and
most singers who think of themselves as jazz singers simply can't or
won't attempt this - the ice is too thin out there!

Having said that, I've enjoyed working with singers who don't improvise,
but who sing in tune and in time and phrase sympathetically with the
backing. Given this, I think the best definition of *jazz singer* I've
heard is *a singer that jazz musicians enjoy working with.* I still
enjoy working with non-improvising singers and view the chance to hear
or play with improvisers like Rebecca Kilgore or Cecile McLorin Salvant
as being the icing on the cake. My favourite put-down of a gushing
self-important *jazz singer* was delivered by a friend of mine, a very
fine Scottish bass player, but no names, no pack drill! He was outside a
club at the interval trying to restore his sanity, when he was
approached by the said *jazz singer* who gushed at him about how
wonderful it was to sing jazz and how great all the singers had been in
the first half of the open-mic *jazz singers* night. When she finally
stopped for breath, he said *you don't sing jazz; you sing cabaret. You
only think it's jazz because the money's sh*te!*

Cheers,
Ken