[Dixielandjazz] Revivalist bands (was Tuba Skinny)

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 07:44:15 PST 2015

Some time ago William Schafer (if I remember correctly) argued in "The
Mississippi Rag" that we had been conditioned by critics not to like the
"gaspipe clarinet" sound, but without any really good reason.  True, the
article was mainly devoted to, I believe, Fess Williams, but applies alos
to Winton Crawley and Boyd Senter.
Did you read the comments, by the way?  Actually, there was only one -
"fantastic Boyd Senter...thanks for sharing."
I am not too crazy about the sound, but both the Original Dixieland Jazz
Band and Jelly Roll Morton employed similar effects; the latter also
recorded with Crawly, but that is another story.
Cheers