[Dixielandjazz] Can someone confirm?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Dec 3 12:35:34 PST 2015

 Ken Gates wrote:
> Wondering if this rings a memory bell with someone--   Many years ago I think I read the following----
> Will Bill Davison was at the same venue as was the George Lewis band.  Will Bill was not a fan of the old style New Orleans manner of playing but reluctantly agreed to play a tune when called upon.
> When he returned to his table he was heard to say that he really enjoyed playing with such a powerhouse rhythm section.  (I don't know the exact quote).
> Can anyone cite a reference that could confirm that this actually happened?

Dear Ken,
You put that question to the DJML back in late  October 2010.
To which I replied: "The only mention of George Lewis in 'The Wildest One. The Life of Wild Bill Davidson' by Hal Willard [1996] is in reference to Bill's long love-hate relationship with Kenny Davern and noting Kenny's admiration for the playing of Pee Wee Russell and George Lewis.
Perhaps there is something in Edward N. Meyer’s recent biography of Kenny Davern’s life and music, 'Just Four Bars' [2010. Scarecrow Press].
I do not have this yet."
[I still do not have that book because it is too expensive.]
Steve Barbone also replied: "Kenny Davern's bio, by Edward N. Meyer does not reference WBD and George Lewis peforming. There is, however a passing reference to the sometimes tension between Davern and WBD."

However, I do not recall any further discussion regarding your query.
Maybe this time around we may have better luck.
As you know, both Wild Bill and George Lewis made tours to Europe and the UK in the 50s and 60s.
This seems a likely place and time for the encounter to have occurred.
Very kind regards,
Bill.