[Dixielandjazz] Bach and OKOM?

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Tue Aug 18 14:00:05 PDT 2015

Charles Suhor wrote, in part:

> At first I had no idea why I loved the [Bach] fugues, then,
> duh, it occurred to me that the various lines were parallel
> to the counterpoint in traditional and Dixieland jazz ensembles
> that I had loved since about age 11.

As a Trad Jazz player and listener, I really enjoy it when, during a solo, one or two other band members will improvise around what the soloist is doing. I really feel that the essence of Traditional Jazz is the improvised counterpoint. Nothing wrong with solos, and some of them can be absolutely great, but tasteful contrapuntal support of one's fellow musician is, I think, more difficult for the player and more rewarding for players and audience alike.

> There’s a story about how he won a hands-down victory in
> competition with another great organist (I forget who) when
> they were each given a theme to embellish. Oh, to be a fly on
> the wall at that session!

These Baroque-era events (rather like ragtime "cutting contests") took place from time to time. There's a story of at least one of these, at which one organist snuck into the back of a church to spy on J. S. Bach as he was practicing. He listened, and then he packed up and left town in the middle of the night rather than face Bach in the competition the next day.

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
Tuba & Leader, The Zinfandel Stompers Vintage Jazz Band