[Dixielandjazz] Bach and OKOM?

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Tue Aug 18 13:08:03 PDT 2015

This might be beyond the pale of our usual exchanges, but it might not. I want to share something that I’ve found fascinating, bordering on transporting, and make some connections to improvisation.  Below is a rendering of Bach’s Passacaglia and Fugue join C Minor, with variously colored bars visually representing the different lines that are played. I had long loved the piece before finding the visual rendering recently, but the latter enhanced my understanding the incredible architecture of the composition.

Bach and jazz came together for me in college when I was introduced to his music via the transcriptions of his major fugues for band. I had little previous exposure to classical music in my 9th ward upbringing, except for recordings of the “best loved melodies" like Strauss waltzes, William Tell Overture, and Rhapsody in Blue, which my upwardly mobile parents bought for our education.

At first I had no idea why I loved the fugues, then, duh, it occurred to me that the various lines were parallel to the counterpoint in traditional and Dixieland jazz ensembles that I had loved since about age 11. The journey grew in many directions, but I still love the baroque period most. When I heard the C Minor organ piece as an adult, I was thrilled at how the repeated 15-note bass theme was the ground for so many different lines as the piece went on (and on…and on...patience is required, but richly rewarded). See if you agree that it has an improvised “feel” to it. Bach of course was a champion improviser. There’s a story about how he won a hands-down victory in competition with another great organist (I forget who) when they were each given a theme to embellish. Oh, to be a fly on the wall at that session!

Charlie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1atQFLYbzuk