[Dixielandjazz] BBC Jazz Club [was Kenny Ball band]

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Tue Aug 18 10:57:32 PDT 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marek Boym"

> The BBC Jazz Club was one of the first jazz programmes I heard in Israel
> (after the IDF Waves Jazz Club, at the time the only Israeli jazz
> programme, and, of course, the VoA Jazz Hour).  At the time it was not
> compered by Humph.  I cannot recall the name of the announcer - my English
> at the time was next to nil .......

<snip>

Hi Marek,
It might have been David Jacobs, who presented the programme in the late
1950's/early 1960's. I have a BBC 33rpm vinyl transcription disc of two BBC
JC sessions (presented by David Jacobs), or at least, half of two sessions.
The Alex Welsh Band is on one side, Ronnie Scott Quartet on the other with
each side running for about 15mins. This disc is obviously one of a pair
but, unfortunately, was the only one being auctioned when I bought it in the
late 1980's in a US auction.

You may already know of these; selections of BBC JC recordings from Upbeat
Records.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Of-British-Jazz-BBC/dp/B000024JOF

Also, and new to me, are some sessions recorded for Radio Luxembourg. I've
yet to investigate these closely.
http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDNJT5318

Regards,
~~