[Dixielandjazz] Clash of the Choirs - "Flight of the Bumblebee"

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Mon Aug 10 11:19:54 PDT 2015

Wow. The breath control alone is amazing! And the intonation is for the most part spot on. I used to enjoy another vocal ensemble, the Swingle Singers, esp. their use of scat syllables, an added challenge, when they did Bach fugues. (Wikipedia notwithstanding, Ward Swingle was from Mobile, where the group was first formed. N.O. players know of his brother Ebb, who was said to play a "cocktail jazz" style piano.)

In a similar area, I think Bobby McFerrfin is tops. Too, I loved Lambert/Hendrix/Ross’s vocalese. My Youtube link is messed up right now, but check them out on Basie’s “Cloudburst."

Charlie