[Dixielandjazz] Clifford Brown's artistry [?]

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at teledyn.com
Tue Apr 28 16:18:25 PDT 2015

there are only two types of music.  There's the music that you like,
and then there's the music that you yourself would play differently.

Wynton Marsalis posted today descriptions by his two companions at the
time of the infamous challenge of Miles Davis in Vancouver in 86' (?)
and while Wynton felt bad about it immediately after, I personally
think it needed to happen and Music only tempted Wynton with the side
wager winnings (that he refused to collect) because she wanted to slap
Miles for his behaviour, but, being Music, could not do it herself.
So she lured a young buck to do it for her.

What is 'jazz'?  Does it even matter.

Personally I don't think we should measure 'jazz' at the musician, I
think we should measure it by the audience; if there is a gleam and
dazzle of life in the audience that wasn't there before, if they can't
sit still or can only sit still rapt, then it's jazz.  All the rest is
noise.

--
*Teledyn Addendum: teledyn blogspot ca*
*eso: **EighthStreetOrchestra blogspot ca*