[Dixielandjazz] Dorothy Donegan Day http://www.jazzonthetube.com/page/28158.html

Norman Vickers NVickers1 at cox.net
Mon Apr 6 07:32:53 PDT 2015

To:  Musicians and Jazzfans list; DJML
From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

I only saw  pianist Dorothy Donegan in person once.  However, late record producer friend Gus Statiras told me about recording her.  She was flamboyant, to say the least.  According to Gus, she gave him detailed instructions.  Wanted no one in the studio except the players and technicians.  However, when she showed up, she brought along approximately 30 rowdy friends.  I still have the LP but it's stored and not easily accessible.

When I saw her in person, she was a featured artist at the Sarasota Jazz Festival in late 1980s or early 1990s.  George Wein was the impresario for that festival as well as the honoree.
First night Dorothy was pianist with the Illinois Jacquet band.  Dorothy was her flamboyant self and during the number-- she took off on a wild piano solo, not written in the charts, so the other musicians put down their instruments and figuratively sat on their hands.

Next night she was also featured and before she played, George Wein gave her a lecture as to how she was to behave that second night.

If you have further curiosity about Ms. Donegan, YouTube has many videos.  I suggest "Dorothy Donegan at the White House" and "Dorothy Donegan with Cab Calloway."

Thanks.  Who are the other musicians with Ms. Donegan?  Trumpeter looks like Sweets Edison.

From: jazztv at aweber.com [mailto:jazztv at aweber.com] On Behalf Of Jazz on the Tube

Subject: Dorothy Donegan Day

Pianist Dorothy Donegan was born
April 6, 1922 in Chicago.