[Dixielandjazz] More on the origin of the word jazz

Jack Mitchell fjmitch at westnet.com.au
Fri Sep 12 17:11:18 PDT 2014

Norman Vickers offers us Clarence Major as a authority on the origin of the
word JAZZ. As Mr. Major gives half a dozen possible sources, it is obvious
that he is not an authority at all. I have read other versions by people
clutching at straws but I won't quote them here as they are no more reliable
than Mr. Major's guesses.

The only conclusion I can draw is that the origin of the word JAZZ applied
to music is unknown, and likely to remain so.

For the best investigation of the matter, see OUR WORD JAZZ  byDick Holbrook
in Storyville magazine (London) issue number 50, December 1973/January 1974,
where early use of the word is investigated in detail.

Best wishes

Jack Mitchell