[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 15:16:57 PDT 2014

True to our creed, a friend and I went to hear the Hungarian
violinist/singer/dancer Katica Illényi
<http://swingdegitans.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec60c6552dab26b2b44db6684&id=ae73557696&e=22581a9827>
wiyj Swing de Gitanes at the Zappa club in Herzlia.  It started great, hot
and swinging, but turned out to be a mixed bag.  Half of the time they
played other types of music, mainly Hungarian Csardas, but also some
Rumanian songs.  La Vie en Rose was a straight rendition a la Edith Piaf.
Katica sang "Bei Mier Bist Du Schoen" in both Yiddish and English, very
well but without swing; she also tap danced on that number.  Nice music,
well played, but not jazz.  I knw she played all those things, but, since
it was a part of the "Hot Jazz" series, I expected it to ba all, or almost
all, Gypsy swing.  When they played Gypsy swing, it was wonderful.
I should nevertheless mention that well ovef one half of the rather large
public seemed to like the non-jazz portion better.
Since I have already acuired a ticket for Thursday, I'll go again, but hadI
known in advance what it was going to be, I would have only gone once.  I
hope the other shows I have already reserved will be better.
Cheers