[Dixielandjazz] Here is some real country Blues

Jack Mitchell fjmitch at westnet.com.au
Wed Sep 3 20:04:39 PDT 2014

Anton Crouch wrote

>" The problem is that the pianist doesn't sound like Lil. A more reasonable
>identification is that the pianist comes from the LA band in which Louis
>Armstrong was the star soloist - the New Sebastian Cotton Club Orchestra.
>Hans Westerberg ("Boy from New Orleans", 1981) suggests either Harvey
>Brooks or L Z Cooper)."

The lead sheet from this session was quoted in Storyville magazine many
years back - written on it was the name "LIN or LILL" - I'm not going
through the magazines to find the exact spelling.

Lil Armstrong was certainly in LA at the time - see BLACK BEAUTY, WHITE HEAT
page 187. Frank Driggs was in no doubt that she played on that recording.

Best wishes
Jack Mitchell