[Dixielandjazz] Re; Band playing a gig

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 29 13:03:06 PDT 2014

A friend of mine attended a gig long long ago where more than the drummer in Bob Ringwald's tale was far too fortissimo.

My friend though not deaf did lip-read
He walked up to the bandstand and shouted at the trumpet-playing leader of an ensemble advertised as playing "dixieland"

And over the din of overamplified ear-endangerment he lip-read from the trumpeter

"I can't hear you over the rhythm section!"
Perhaps after a lot of that he wouldn't need the rhythm section -
I mean even without them, he wouldn't have been able to hear.

Actually the last gig I heard with difficulty over noise from drums was in Germany,

and that was only on account of the oddness of the hall !!!!
We moved and the balance was perfect.

Don't beat the drummer !!!