[Dixielandjazz] Brian Lemon

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Wed Oct 22 14:16:00 PDT 2014

Hi Gerald et al,

Sad news indeed. Brian was an inspiring player who could lift a rhythm section with his inventive solos, sympathetic accompaniment and especially with his inventive use of passing harmony. Many years ago I had the great pleasure of playing drums in a trio with Brian and Len Skeat for a whole week during the Edinburgh Jazz Festival where we provided backing to a stellar line-up of soloists: Roy Williams, John Barnes, Dave Shepherd, Acker Bilk, Jim Galloway, Doc Cheatham and many others. On one of the gigs, Acker read out from a review in the local Scotsman newspaper in which Brian's name had been misprinted as "Brian Demon" so he immediately became known as "The Demon." Acker's playing with Brian was very different from anything I'd heard him do previously: it was decidedly a mainstream rhythm section and Acker's great ear enabled him to get off on Brian's passing harmonies, so, while his playing still had Acker's distinctive tone, his phrasing incorporated Brian's subtle harmonic approach and made him sound quite different.

He also had a useful turn of phrase at the bar if he was asked if he'd like a drink. His reply was invariably "I'd like a brandy, please, and I'll leave the measure to your discretion!"

RIP Brian, it was a pleasure to know you and a joy to work with you.

Ken Mathieson