[Dixielandjazz] Café Central, Madrid

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 14:18:56 PDT 2014

Hi Jim

> >recordings should be documents of what happened.
>

> Referring back to what Stan Getz said, I don't fully agree with him.

I don't listen to Stan Getz - I usually find his music much too bland (my
ears, not anybody elses's) - but in this case I agree with him.  The modern
sound editing (and amplification) often makes the piano the loudest
instrument in the band.  Moreover, if the recording is to convey the live
ambiance, it should bring it as originally heart, warts and all.  Otherwise
it is often stogdy and lacks the live feeling.

>   As a
> sound editor myself, I know what can be done to "help out" a recording.  I
> always think of a trombonist in the Count Basie band that can be heard very
> clearly coming in a note before the rest of the section in a Las
> Vegas/Frank
> Sinatra recording from the 1950's.  I'll bet the poor guy is still turning
> over in his grave over that one!  Today, that note could be removed in a
> flash.
>
> Things happen at live sessions that are forgotten the second after they
> happen, but a recording is heard over & over again.....

And it is those "things" that make it come alive!
Cheers