[Dixielandjazz] Café Central, Madrid

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Oct 20 13:35:07 PDT 2014

Gary wrote (quoting):

>recordings should be documents of what happened.

Thanks for your comments, Gary.  However, in this case the fellow is hired
by the club to do a set of recordings of each band that has a week in the
club.  With the equipment he was using, the sound balance should have been
excellent, however the trombone is overpowering practically everyone.  The
edits were weak, and the piano didn't exist in any of the segments when he
plays a major part in our quintet.  It was not a document of what was heard
in the club that nite.

I realize these are only things that a musician in the band would probably
notice, and the overall effect is good to anyone else.  Still, my point that
we have little control over what gets uploaded these days is valid.

Referring back to what Stan Getz said, I don't fully agree with him.  As a
sound editor myself, I know what can be done to "help out" a recording.  I
always think of a trombonist in the Count Basie band that can be heard very
clearly coming in a note before the rest of the section in a Las Vegas/Frank
Sinatra recording from the 1950's.  I'll bet the poor guy is still turning
over in his grave over that one!  Today, that note could be removed in a
flash.

Things happen at live sessions that are forgotten the second after they
happen, but a recording is heard over & over again.....

Jim