[Dixielandjazz] Free Form Music

Phil Wilking arnold.wilking at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 18 12:19:26 PDT 2014

And let me speak up (write up?) for the other point of view.

A very little of "random with little or no melodic or harmonic reference"
goes a very long way. It probably is useful to a psychiatrist or
psychologist evaluating a patient, but it is not "music." After 20 to 30
seconds of it, I go looking for a beer - and I am not alone.

This is very different from variations on a theme. Plainly state the theme
and then run variations, both melodic and harmonic - even rhythmic, but
those variations are not "random," they have a "genealogy" which is clearly
traceable back to the original theme.

To me (us?) "random" sound equals "noise," it is not "music." I use noise to
test the response of an amplifier, I certainly do not pay for a ticket to go
listen to it.

Phil Wilking - K5MZF
www.nolabanjo.com

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.