[Dixielandjazz] Free Form Music

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sat Oct 18 10:53:50 PDT 2014

Your last paragraph says so much, Ken. I do think, though, that free form performers are generally less interested in willfully denying structure than letting their intuitions flow and, basically, seeing what structures might emerge if they aren't grounded in traditional forms. Jazz players, even when they don't make use of a song structure, make use of the contours of jazz improvisation, jazz and blues inflections, and other jazz components. Non-jazz free form music usually sounds comparatively bare and to me, most of it gets boring pretty fast on recordings. A film should carry more of a sense of the act-of-creating, but I've found that what keeps me with the moment is a live performance where one's being there is an act of respect and commitment to the human beings who are breathing the same air as they try their luck at inventing...something. That can be communal and exciting, even when their efforts don't add up to interesting listening.

I've long enjoyed modern jazz when the group starts out with a standard tune, then the soloists gradually stretch out, keeping a "sense" of the song source while the chords and bars move into the badlands. Again, live is better for me. In the 80s I heard McCoy Tyner's trio in Chicago taking "I Got Rhythm" into almost mystically lovely places. In New York, a group led by a fine bassist/vocalist (forgot his name) with Marvin Stamm on trumpet and Terry Clark on drums was moving into layers and more layers of complex rhythms. Finally the bassist hollered, "WHERE'S ONE?" I fell out laughing--in delight, not scorn. There was something about their being "lost" that was liberating, and when they moved back into good old 4/4, the resolution was very satisfying.

Charlie