[Dixielandjazz] Thomas Brothers' Louis Armstrong: Master of Modernism

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Fri Oct 10 12:02:22 PDT 2014

I haven't read Brothers' new book, Joe, but I found your and Riccardi's ideas to be in sync with my review his 2006 LOUIS ARMSTRONG'S NEW ORLEANS. Riccardi's lengthy piece gets a bit picky at times, but he rightly decimates much of Brothers' thesis with data, data, and more data. I really liked many things about Brothers' 2006 book, especially the discussions of heterophony and the Sanctified Church. But as in the current book, Brothers started out with some a priori assumptions and ignored or minimized evidence to the contrary. Anecdote: In August of 2006, the city was barely emerging from the ravages of Katrina, but the second annual Satchmo festival went on. At a reception for presenters, a distinguished participant told me that Brothers reproached him angrily because of a mixed review of the book. I was glad that my review in the Jazz Journalist Association's "Jazz Notes" (mercifully abridged, below) didn't appear until December.

Charlie