[Dixielandjazz] "Black and Blue" lyric

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Oct 6 13:44:03 PDT 2014

 Charles Suhor wrote:
> To hear Ethel Waters singing "Suppertime" to great effect (circa late 60's on TV, judging by the hairdo on the hostess. Is that Dianna Ross?), go to the link below.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5Zvjjbc-Hk

Dear Charlie,
I've seen that moving clip and yes, it was from the Diana Ross Show.
And Ethel Waters certainly conveys the mood of the 1933 newspaper headline that inspired the Berlin song - "Unknown Negro Lynched By Frenzied Mob."
By 17th January 1939, when Helen Forest recorded the song for Bluebird with Artie Shaw, it was taken at a medium tempo, but gave no hint of the reason why "that man o' mine ain't comin' home no more."
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4E2gR5zRk4
Unfortunately, I don't have the Gertrude Neisen version with Isham Jones made on 13 October 1933 for Victor.
Kind regards,
Bill.